Cloud Storage 2013 - A look at the old and the new



By now, everyone uses cloud storage. Whether you knowingly download a program (Dropbox) to sync certain files you deem important, or unknowingly have and use files that are in the cloud (Google Drive), cloud storage is a part of our everyday life. In a quest to find cloud storage the suits my specific needs, I am compiling a list of the advantages and disadvantages to various cloud storage as seen in the beginning of 2013.

Before I begin, I should reveal my biases. Cloud storage for me, should meet the following demands:

  • Have some sort of desktop client that automates syncing.
  • Cross platform compatible. For me Linux and Android clients are essential.
  • Have a free storage amount that is actually useful.
  • Ability to share files with others.
I have come to the conclusion that cloud storage no longer needs to be a "one size fits all" solution, but rather we can choose different services to fulfill different needs. I will share what I think each different service is useful for.

Read article »

No comments:

Post a Comment