VPN Review - gfwVPN

Update: Click here for my review of other VPNs and Proxies


Because I live in China, I am forced to look at different options for viewing an unblocked version of the Internet. This means I must use either a proxy or VPN.

I recently discovered gfwVPN and I think this might be my favorite VPN so far. For the past three months I have been using one of the most popular VPNs here in China, Astrill. Astrill is quite good and offers a lot of bells and whistles, the only problem is that it has not been completely reliable for me to connect using Linux.

I have tired various other VPNs and they don't seem to work at all for me. When I tried gfwVPN I was skeptical at first but I decided to pay the 1 cent and try it for an hour (though I think they ended up letting me try it for a day).

I am happy to report that it worked flawlessly in both Windows and Linux. I think when my Astrill account runs out, I will go ahead and sign up for gfwVPN


Pros of gwfVPN:
  • Cheap(ish) - Perhaps one of the cheapest VPNs I have seen.
  • Easy to set up and works well in China.
  • Can use it for an hour just by paying 1 cent.
  • 2 online users per account.
Cons of gwfVPN:
  • No special software to make it easier to use (not a con for me, but could be for people a bit less tech savvy.
  • No apparent live support if you need it (again, not really a con until you actually need it).
Price Comparison:
1 Month for  gwfVPN: $7
1 Month for Astrill: Not available

3 Months for  gwfVPN: $21
3 Months for Astrill: $30

6 Months for  gwfVPN: $35
6 Months for Astrill: $40

1 Year for  gwfVPN: $56
1 Year for Astrill: $70

No comments:

Post a Comment