Tip of the Day - Backing up Important Documents

For a few years, I worked in a computer lab giving technical support. The saddest thing I would see is when students would spend hours and hours on a document and have it all lost because they reset the computer or there was a power outage.  There is a simple solution to making sure you never loose a document: Use Google Docs.  Google docs will save your document every 5 minutes. You can access it anywhere you get the Internet, and it is stored on a very secure server.

People may argue that Google Docs does not allow you to do what Microsoft Word does. This is true.  Usually, I will type my document in Google Docs, then print it or change the formatting in Word; but at least this way I know I have it backed up.

If you still don't want to use Google Docs, please please please, save your document as soon as you start one, and save frequently.  If you have a power outage, or your computer resets for some reason, if Word's auto recovery does not work, you can always try file recovery software like Recuva.

No comments:

Post a Comment